As tensions with North Korea rose this week, the South Carolina governor called for a state of state of alert as he declared a state emergency in the state.
The governor, Nikki Haley, made the announcement at a ceremony honoring state workers at the Capitol on Friday.
Haley said the state’s citizens were not safe and needed to be vigilant to prevent another tragedy.
“We are in a state crisis.
We need to get this thing under control,” Haley said.
“It’s a very dangerous situation, a very tense situation, and I can assure you that our citizens are not safe.”
Haley called on the public to not allow the situation to deteriorate and to “act in the best interests of the state of South Carolina.”
The state will have to pay the costs of emergency response and reconstruction efforts.
The announcement comes as North Korea tests another intercontinental ballistic missile, the Hwasong-12.
It has previously tested a variety of missiles including its most powerful weapon, the intermediate-range Hwasongsong-3.
The Hwasonsong-4, the most powerful, was tested on November 5.
The test did not go as planned and North Korea has said the new device is not capable of hitting the U.S. mainland.
North Korea claims it is seeking a nuclear weapons capability.